As an exercise enthusiast, I just couldn't wait to tell you about my experience with Bikram Yoga. I just finished my introductory week last Monday at the Bikram Yoga in Covina and I have nothing but postive notes to report back to all of you. When I first heard about this, I thought "What?! Yoga in a 95-100 degree room for 90 minutes, that's just crazy talk!" Boy, did I bite my words after my first two sessions.
So what's all the hype you ask? Well, as you can imagine, a vigorous yoga session at this temperature promotes profuse sweating and makes the body very warm, and therefore more flexible. The heat warms muscles, which allows you to work deeper into your body in a shorter amount of time. The heat takes the trauma out of stretching, heals and prevents injuries according to this practice. The heat also helps flush stagnant toxins from your body through sweating.
Like any form of exercise here are Bikram Yoga's health benefits:
- Builds core strength and increases muscle tone
- Detoxifies and purifies the body
- Rebuilds and establishes balance and body symmetry
- Strengthens lung capacity, making breathing easier and more efficient
- Increases mental clarity, focus and concentration
- Limits the effects of aging
- Increases flexibility
Bikram's beginning yoga class consists of a series of 26 hatha yoga postures and 2 breathing exercises taught in a heated room for 90 minutes. By the end of each class session you will have worked every muscle, tendon, joint, ligament, internal organ and gland while systematically moving freshly oxygenated blood to 100% of your body. Students of all ages and levels benefit from this total mind and body workout (I am not flexible at all, so if I can do it you can too!). Whether you have injuries that need to heal, looking to shed a few pounds or need a challenging and meditative regimen...Bikram Yoga wants you!
The first few sessions are a little tough because you MAY experience some dizziness or nausea, but don't be discouraged, that is just your body getting acclimated to the heat and detoxifying from all the toxins you have built up in your body. They do advise you to take a seat and drink some water if this happens. Like I always say: "Just give it a shot, you have nothing to lose!"
If you do decide to try this out be sure to bring:
- 2 towels, one to put on your mat (it gets pretty sticky) and one to wipe of your sweat
- Bottle of water
- Yoga mat
- Clothes that are not too lose (you will sweat A LOT so the less the better!)
- Extra set of clothes (Going home with wet clothes isn't a nice feeling!)
- Empty stomach (it is recommended that you do not eat 2-3 hours prior to the session so that your body focuses on your muscles rather than the food you just put in it)
One last thing, if you go to the studio in Covina and it's your first time you can pay $10 for 7 sessions (introductory week) IF you have a referral card.
Hope all of you are surviving the quarter, it's WEEK 9! Best of luck with school and hope to see you here at the Bronco Fitness Center! Don't be afraid to come and ask us questions if you have any, we'll be more than happy to help you with your workout :)
Over and out.